I carried on making the bilge pump piping, this is kit sprue of the right diameter heat formed and shaped by hand.
Here you can just see how the one pipe end locates under the drivers seat, the other end is located under the gearbox at the rear.
This difficult shot shows the bends and curves that this pipe has to take.
The first rough layout of the pipe leading under the gear box housing, there should be a T-piece junction that has to be added in here running under the clutch drum you see. It will become clearer as the work progresses.
I took these three shots for as much of an inspiration to me as anyone else, as with my restorations after a while one gets jaded about what one looks at and you sometimes need to step back and appreciate exactly what you have achieved. So, to inspire me? And others?
Perhaps I should have included a "before and after" view to see just how far this build has come.
This view showed up quite nicely, I have a mental image of how it all will look when I'm finished which is still a way to go.
It may not be noticed but this is the third and final attempt of making the reinforcing ribs, when compared to photographs my ribs are perhaps a little more bold and thicker than should be but hey one has to draw the line somewhere otherwise a model will never get finished. I also made the three fuel filler ports from sprue.
Here is a close up of the rough shape and the large nut that holds it to the fuel tank sheeting. This sheeting you see is actually not the fuel tank, like most French tanks it has rubberised self sealing bladders inside these sheet metal housings. I haven't and don't intend to make these inner fuel tanks as they are totally invisible.
Next step was to start on the bilge pump pipe, this is normal kit sprue that has been heat formed to achieve the correct contours. This is actually easier than it seems, the sprue is held over my heat gun and once the plastic starts to soften you can manipulate it quite easily it just takes practice.
The bend you can see to the right is where it joins up with a T-junction yet to be made, I have also added the makings of the fuel tank outlets at the bottom of the fuel tanks, this is also simply sprue from some kit with the correct T intersections.
I have a pile of wire from various old appliances, you never know when a piece of black flex will serve as piping.
On the left you will see the loose ends of the fuel pipes which eventually join to the fuel junction point and from there to the carburettors.
I didn't feel like doing any major modelling today so to be productive I heat formed a number of nuts, the razor blade is to slice them off the sprue. The sprue I used is from Meng which is a nice soft plastic. Different manufacturers plastic has different working properties, this one's just right.
These are very small as you can see.
These were made for the tappet cover.
A small touch but one that makes a world of difference.
At least this time I have added something that can actually be seen!
In case you don't see it I started adding the strengthening ribs to the auxiliary fuel tanks, I still need to glue the ones on the inner surface. I have found at least two Ebay wartime images of exploded tanks that confirm the ribs were a standard design feature.
Even the left hand side one can be seen in the close confines. I have removed the pulley set up for now.
Next comes the filler ports, joining pipes and lower end feeder pipes.
I decided to wait until most of the components are in place before I glue in the nuts and bolts, otherwise I might wast my time adding these to areas that are completely hidden.
A close up view, the intersections had to be cut and fitted to get it that way.
Slowly, slowly the vacant areas are starting to be filled with interesting details.