Sunday, 21 October 2012

I turned my attention to making the clutch mechanism, many hours of turning, cutting shaping went into this piece. 
Here it is mounted in place, some other smaller details have been added to the Naeder chain housing. 
An overhead view of the clutch. 
An overall view, one of these days this will all be finished.

Monday, 1 October 2012

Finally after many months of lack of interest I got inspired to carry on. What I have added here are many nuts and finer details such as the shape of the gearbox as well as the mounting system for the Naeder motor. 
From this angle some more of the lumps and bumps that have been added can be seen. 
Most noticeable from this angle is the oil filler tube which has been added and the re-shaping of the lower gearbox casing.
After many months of wracking my brain as to how to make the very visible Naeder drive chain I came up with this idea. Firstly I cut a piece of styrene to the shape of the path that the chain will follow, next each link was cut out of styrene and glued onto the shape pretty much like building a brick wall. Once I went around I added the next layer and so on until the full depth was achieved. 
From the side you can see the contour of the chain path, it is still too narrow here but will look better when finished.
Here one can see the backing plate, the drawing of mine for the chain and the finished chain.
Although it's not shown once the full width has been built up the chain was carefully cut from the building plate using a razor blade, the drive grooves were filed into the solid chain once the glue had set and then the end pieces were shaped and glued in place as well as the retaining rivets. So that's how a timing type chain is made it should be mentioned that in reality these links should be a lot more thinner but I think the overall effect doesn't look too over scale. 
Another view. 

Showing the scale in my hand. 
And this is how it looks when mounted onto the gearbox. Here you can see why the curve was built into the chain to accommodate the tensioning roller. 
A close up view of the whole setup, the lower drive roller is quite invisible once the whole setup is assembled but I know it's there. 
Just another view. 
The next two images show the gearbox and all the up to date components added. 
A nice view of the overall assembly so far, most of the details are small and one has to look carefully to see them. I've given up on showing my wife the progress because she just doesn't see any difference.
 

Saturday, 21 April 2012

The inlet manifold blanks have been pinned
to the cylinder heads. 
View from underneath, as you can see I'm not
taking chances with the cylinder head sequence. 
Initial rough shaping has taken place. 
View from another angle. 
Both manifolds taking shape. 
View from above. 
View of the compartment with added elements.
The bulkhead has been opened up with the engine
in it's more accurate location.
I've added the inlet manifold ports. 
Some nice overcast weather gave me the
opportunity to take some natual light pics. 
In this view some of the heat formed bolts and studs
can be seen, they look rather small to me but seeing
as I'm restricted by the sizes of allen head bolts thats
more or less the correct size. 
An overhead view showing the progress thus far. 
This view shows the work that has yet to be done
on the lower half of the gearbox, still some ways
to go. 
This view in particular shows the lack of detail
that has yet to be added, also the rounded lower
half is incorrect and needs to be re made. 
I've included the following images to give some
idea of the scale and size in my hand. 
This area also needs to be finished off at some stage.
Unfortunately most of the rear is invisible once installed.

Thursday, 19 April 2012

I have added the flanges to the exhaust manifold.
At this stage everything is pinned together. 
A close up view. 
The engine is starting to look like something.
I don't always work to any set sequence but add
here and there as the fancy takes me.  
The ribs on the crankcase have been sanded down 
to their more final shape. 
Overhead view, it is interesting to note that
the exhaust outlet corresponds exactly to the
opening port in the upper decking meaning that my
working drawings are accurate. This will
all be seen later on. 
Another overhead view, the opening in the firewall needs
to be cut out pretty soon to accomodate the engine which
is not in it's correct place, it should intrude into the fighting compartment. 

Saturday, 14 April 2012

Here I have turned the tubes for the engine exhaust/inlet ports.  
The tubes were glued to scrap plastic to hold them
 in place while I sanded them to fit the cylinder heads.  
The outlet tubes are being test fitted here. 
Overall pic showing the engine components so far.
The tubes have been glued to the cylinder head, the scrap
plastic will be cut and sanded off when the glue has set. 
As seen from another angle. 
Ditto. 
shown again.

Sunday, 1 April 2012

I have added the strenghthening ribs to the engine casing,
it will be sanded to shape once dry.

Cylinder heads mounted to check fitment. 
Here is the tappet cover, the nuts and other small
details still have to be added. 
Overall shot inside the hull. 
Side view inside the hull, still some ways to go.